Reading is a hobby that can be enjoyed by many people.
It does not matter the age. When you have a good book in front of you, you can escape the world you are currently living in and head somewhere else.
Here we will provide you with the best dinosaur books for kids, along with a buying guide for making sure you find the best ones for your needs.
Table of Contents
Best dinosaur books for kids: our picks
1. Dinosaur A-Z: For kids who really love dinosaurs!
Buy it: From $8, Amazon.com
2. My Encyclopedia of Very Important Dinosaurs: Discover more than 80 Prehistoric Creatures
Buy it: From $16, Amazon.com
3. The Dinosaur Book
Buy it: From $18, Amazon.com
4. The Big Book of Dinosaurs
Buy it: From $14, Amazon.com
5. National Geographic Kids “Dinosaurs”
Buy it: From $5, Amazon.com
6. Weird But True! Dinosaurs: 300 Dino-Mite Facts to Sink Your Teeth Into
Buy it: From $9, Amazon.com
7. Dinosaur Dictionary for Kids: The Everything Guide for Kids Who Love Dinosaurs
Buy it: From $12, Amazon.com
8. Did You See that Dinosaur?: Search the Page, Find the Dinosaur in a Fact-Filled Adventure
Buy it: From $9, Amazon.com
Buying guide for dinosaur books for kids
If your child loves dinosaurs, it may be best to look for books that are entertaining and will hold their interest.
Our buying guide for dinosaur books for kids will point out exactly what you should be looking for.
By following our suggestions you will be able to find the best dinosaur books for your children.
Types of dinosaur books for kids
Picture books can also be referred to as board books. These are books made especially for children ages 0 to 5. These books may contain a few words but mostly just contain pictures of the subject of the book.
Popup books are a lot of fun for children. These books are perfect for kids that like looking at visuals. A popup book is interactive, so the child can be involved. A popup book can also teach the value of visualization to a child.
While a repetitive book may seem annoying to some adults, these books are quite handy. They can help children memorize the book, which then they can “read” by themselves.
Chapter books are for older readers. These stop the story at a good point to move on to the next chapter.
Coloring and activity books
These types of books are less for reading, than they are for coloring fun. That said, there are some dinosaur coloring books, dinosaur coloring pages, and other activity books that have some reading benefit – although you’ll need to shop around, looking for those that include more of a story, than many of the traditional coloring books on the market.
Benefits of reading dinosaur books
There are so many amazing benefits of reading. These include:
- Dinosaur books for kids, as well as any other, will help to build up a vocabulary for children. This will be very valuable to them for the rest of their lives.
- Dinosaur books for kids can also help critical thinking skills. At the end of pages, you can ask “what do you think will happen next?’ or “why do you think that the dinosaur did not run after the other one?”
- Reading will allow a child’s imagination to run wild. Books are a source of creativity.
- Better communication skills can be had by children who are read to or who read themselves.
- Reading lets a child value not only the book, but also the stories within the book.
- Books can help a child distinguish between real and make believe.
- Empathy can be increased when reading to a child.
- Stress can be reduced when a child is read to.
- Many children will sleep better when they are read to.
- Reading makes people have a longer lifespan.
Tips for reading to children
- Try to make it a habit to read to children daily. This can be done at different times during the day, such as right before bed, after dinner, or even during a bath, bring all the dino bath toys to life with a story!
- Make sure that while reading books, it is quiet. Turn off other distractions, such as the radio, computer or TV.
- Use voices. No one wants to hear a book read in a monotone voice. If you are not comfortable using voices, be sure to have expression in your voice.
- Ask questions before, during and after the book has been read.
- Make sure the child can see the book.
- If the child asks you a question while you are reading, answer it now rather than after the story is over.
- You’re also going to want somewhere to keep your kid’s growing book collection. Consider picking up a set of super cute dinosaur bookends, perfect for storing books on a shelf in a kid’s bedroom.
Ideas to help children learn to love to read
If your child hates to read, there are some things that you can do to help assist him or her in learning to love to read. These include:
- Get your child a library card. Take them to the library once a week or every other week to check out a new book. Let them pick the book.
- Make reading a habit. Do it daily. Make it a family affair. Perhaps after supper everyone in the family can sit down and read for 20 minutes. Or have reading time before lights are shut out at night.
- Give books as presents for birthdays, holidays and other celebrations.
- Make a reading space for your child at home. Include comfortable dino pillows and dinosaur blankets, soft kid’s dinosaur bedding, and more. Stuffed animals could be placed there for them to “read” to them there, and even a dinosaur play tent, turning the space into a dedicated reading nook.
- Make it a family rule that there is no TV or computer time until a specific amount of reading has been done each day.
- Talk about books together that your child is reading. After they have read the book, ask them what their favorite part was or which character they liked or disliked most.
- Make reading more fun, using a range of props. You could use things your little one already has, like dinosaur plush toys and figures, or pick up some dinosaur finger puppets.
- Once children have read the book, see if there is a movie made from the book. If so, watch the movie, then compare the two.
Our goal of providing this kids dinosaur book buying guide is to assist you in finding the perfect dinosaur books for children of any age.
We know how hard it can be to find the best book that will hold a child’s interest. By following the above guide, you can rest assured that your child will be happy with any of the books on the list.
We feel that reading is important, and by finding the best children’s books, we are certain your child will learn to love it.